Posted on Jan 18 2016
Updated Sept 5 2016
- Masterclass | Crowds in Houdini 15.5
- Houdini 15 Masterclass | Crowds
- as well as assorted small
snippets from previous versions at http://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/category/crowds/
SCAD Student Work:
Houdini 14/15 saw the introduction of crowds. This is a work in progress as we explore ...
TIP: importing mocap fbx files into Houdini
There are some excellent tutorials out there as well as some recent masterclasses:
In particular, the ability to easily import motion capture data into the pipeline is appealing.
- Setting up a Crowd Simulation in the Documentation http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/crowds/setup
- What's new http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/news/15/crowds
- ( also worth viewing is what's new in Houdini 15 in general, including crowds http://renderositymagazine.com/side-effects-software-announces-the-release-of-houdini-15-cms-139 )
- Crowds Intro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLnxWKocJDw
- Houdini 15 Crowds Masterclass (January
2016) - Ragdoll/Layers/Workflow available at sidefx, vimeo and
- Path tools with Houdini Crowds https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5F9U9GRuaM
- Also related
- Material Style Sheets https://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3186&Itemid=412
Digital Tutors (now Pluralsight)
Here is a very basic test to get you started. More coming soon.
Aside - interesting but less useful: Based on the video by "Atom" the following document outlines the steps for importing bvh data into Houdini should you ever need to do this. However this is a step in our experiments we found unnecessary as you can simply import an fbx with motion capture data.
- video by "Atom"
- my corresponding pdf summary
- NOTE: bvh files can be converted into the required cmd/bclip
format using mcbiovision which comes with Houdini's bin.
cmd (bones) bclip (corresponding animation)