Posted on Jan 18 2016
Updated Sept 17 2017
Click here for Crowd Resources
There are some excellent tutorials out there as well as some recent masterclasses:
by Cameron White - SIGGRAPH 2017 HIVE
- Masterclass | Crowds in Houdini 15.5
- Houdini 15 Masterclass | Crowds (Feb 2016)
- as well as assorted small snippets from previous versions at http://www.sidefx.com/tutorials/category/crowds/
SCAD Student Work:
- Beyond the Track and Beyond the Track Breakdown (Spring 2017) Jonah Laird, Ben Martin, Ian Matta et al.
- Jinguang Huang - Castle Siege Battle
- Jonah Laird/Ali Rizvi for Michael Rhima's Shango
- Stadium Crowd Tool in Houdini with Key-Frameable Motion Controls by Mei-Chieh Chen (August 2013)
Here are my instructions for a very basic test to get you started (pdf) and with pictures. More coming soon.
Houdini 14/15 saw the introduction of crowds and now in H16 we have terrain adaption, fuzzy logic ... let's explore!
TIP: importing mocap fbx files into Houdini
The ability to easily import motion capture data into the pipeline is appealing.
- Setting up a Crowd Simulation in the
- What's new in H16 and in H15
- Path tools with Houdini Crowds
- Height fields for Crowds
- Also related
Aside - interesting but less useful: Based on the video by "Atom" the following document outlines the steps for importing bvh data into Houdini should you ever need to do this. However this is a step in our experiments we found unnecessary as you can simply import an fbx with motion capture data. It is included only for interest.
- video by "Atom"
corresponding pdf summary
- NOTE: bvh files can be converted into the required cmd/bclip
format using mcbiovision which comes with Houdini's bin.
cmd (bones) bclip (corresponding animation)