Interesting Articles - serious and sillyPosted 2013
Updated Jan 19 2017
- Inspirational video
- Paul Debevec at
SIGGRAPH Asia 2016 - on advice to students:
"Create something even if you don't know how to do it yet"
Other cool items that have recently come to my attention:
- NASA ICESat-2 new website is live: http://icesat-2.gsfc.nasa.gov
- TED TALK Roger Antonsen: Math is the hidden secret to understanding the world
- TED TALK Interdisciplinary
Importance - Michelle Borkin: Astronomical medicine
Table Update and in song
- Mocap - http://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2016/11/21/make-create-innovate-motion-capture-vicon.cnn
Asia 2016 Technical Papers Preview
Strange and Houdini (Mike Seymour - fxguide)
Strange and Victoria Alonso
- fxguide - VIEW 2016 line up
- VIEW 2016
- and http://www.viewconference.it/awards-and-social-contest/
- VIEW 2015
- Michael Kurinsky - watch the color script for Cloudy With a
Chance of Meatballs come to life in the link below
- 12 Principles of Animation by Alan Becker and wiki entry
- VR article
- Presentation tips from
Content Loop and from
- from ZEITGUISED a
- Mocap - fxguide - SIGGRAPH 2016 - EPIC win: previs to final in five minutes (Sept 4, 2016)
- fxguide - Kubo and the Two Strings (Sept 6, 2016)
- Google Spotlight Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJadKNYMahhqtdAhDZSy4cg
- Thanks to Hassan for pointing out the art of the title http://www.artofthetitle.com/
- Houdini Animation/Rigging used in Houdini https://vimeo.com/156837850
- Batman Lego Movie Trailer
- Rendering tips from Psyop http://postperspective.com/production-rendering-tips-2016-beyond/
- Zootopia - https://www.fxguide.com/featured/the-fur-reaching-tech-of-zootopia/
- Google Tilt Brush http://www.tiltbrush.com/
- VR - Halolens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6Wndguve8U
- VR - Halolens and skype https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QiGYtd3qNI&spfreload=5
- MR - Microsoft
Hololens - "a new medium for artistic expression" ...
"blend your digital life with your physical life"
- VR and AR - http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/2016/03/24/ar-vr-driving-major-innovations-tech/82229078/
- VR - http://blog.siggraph.org/2016/03/vr-where-everyor-old-or-both.html/
- VR - VR in the medical field Duck Duck Punch
- VR - CGW - http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2016/Volume-39-Issue-1-Jan-Feb-2016-/Its-Here-.aspx
- VR -
CGW - http://www.cgw.com/Publications/CGW/2016/Volume-39-Issue-1-Jan-Feb-2016-/Heads-Up-.aspx
- VR - ILM and VR https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUlZY8R-vD8&feature=youtu.be
- VR - https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-virtual-reality-is-the-most-powerful-artistic-medium-of-our-time
- VR - site dedicated to VR 360 content - Littlstar - www.littlstar.com
- Glen Keane drawing in Virtual Space
- never say never http://www.cnn.com/videos/world/2016/03/17/fermat-last-theorem-solved-sdg-orig.cnn/video/playlists/thats-pretty-cool/
Rock, Paper, Scissors
Sounds to Space
- Mocap - MAZ
and other vsfx on Star Wars: The Force Awakens
- be "OS" dexterous http://www.techworm.net/2015/12/microsoft-wants-you-to-train-using-its-rival-linux.html
- An online whiteboard https://limnu.com/
- Balloonfest 1986 http://mashable.com/2015/10/19/balloonfest-86/?utm_cid=lf-toc#n1.iZFqEskqP
- NASA - Colorful Liquid in Space
- NASA - Sees
Holiday Lights from Space
- Houdini - Gimpville
- Houdini - CGBros on Youtube
- Houdini artists of interest:
- Igor Zanic website and
- Alejandro Echeverry on
- Aleksandar Rodic on vimeo
- Carlos Parmentier website and on vimeo
- also http://cgterminal.com/2016/01/15/houdini-instant-snow-tutorial/
- Fractals - excellent
- Mocap -
SIGGRAPH 14 - Motion
Capture of Quadrapeds
- From 5 years ago - The Third & The Seventh
by Alex Roman (thank Matt for pointing this out) and breakdown
- fxphd Tutorial on Vue
Studios explains Visual Effects
- Robot Swarms
- SIGGRAPH 2014 Dailies Trailer
- SIGGRAPH 14 - PhysX by Nvidia (see you tube for many SIGGRAPH examples)
- SIGGRAPH 14 - Defending Continuous Collision Detection against Errors
- Renderman news: read below
- TED TALK tips on talking
- looking at Steve Jobs
- TED TALK with Don
Levy - A cinematic journey through visual effects
Autodesk/Naiad/Maya news (thanks Tyler and Josh)
- Muppets Swedish chef fans watch here
- for those questions you've always wondered
- Gravity in FXGuide
- presented at SIGGRAPH Asia
- Flexible Muscle - Based
Locomotion (thanks Dennys)
website: Former SCAD vsfx student Hosuk Chang.
- interview with Nemo Gould
- Artist Profile
- Implosion reference
- Star Wars meets motion capture? Check out what
Lucasfilm is up to here
(thanks Steve M.)
- Image metrics latest facial capture result - Emily
(thanks Steve M.)
- Aug 20, 2013 - Dreamworks
Turbo using Openvdb and Houdini
2013 - included Katana - Pixar's
Fast Lighting Preview with NVIDIA Technology
- visuals are processed 60,000 times faster
than text according to the following article read
vimeo staff pick title Fear of Flying (watch the making
of - it is not stop motion)
- Avatar article at cgsociety
of Technology commercial and take a look at Big Lazy Robot -
- Tron - thanks Will!
- cool cotton - thanks Taylor T!
Scatter 2 an interesting procedural plug-in released Dec
2012 - thanks Parrish
- check out this cool facial animation - thanks Kate!
- After Effects plugin called
3D and Metropolitan add on here
interview with Bjarne Stroustrup - Inventor of C++ by
IEEE Computer magazine and here.
Also discussion of when to
use what language.
- Why documentation needs to be accurate.
- SoftImage has introduced crowdFX using ICE
- click here.
- Meet Mahoro - A Two-Armed Lab Robot
- Mocap - Motion Capture in the Industry - check out this absolutely excellent article in CGWorld written by Barbara Robertson.
- Real "chops" example
- Odd Fluid Simulation
- Fountains - new reference -
- Fotoshop by Adobe
- Old Spice
- Draw a stickman
- Houdini - Houdini and Massive crowds (thank you Drew!)
- Check out this animation from NASA.
- For fun type into google
- "do a barrel roll"
- or type in "google gravity" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky"
- "the answer to life the
universe and everything"
- Check out the following article about crowds in Maya. (thank you Matt Hornback)
- Also crowds in Houdini here.
- Dennis Ritchie and C.
- Mocap - Motion Capture, Giant Studios and DD - thanks Bryanna for sending me the link!
- Interested in particles - here's something for you - partio.
- Houdini - Rythmn and Hues use Houdini for crowd scenes in Moneyball
- Check out wemomedia.
- Justin Holt on CGSociety here.
- Irresponsible Science Cornstarch Experiment executed large scale
- More cornstarch - this time slowed down
- BBC timelapse photography
- BBC slowmotion photography
- Test your powers of observation here.